No. of Credits: 60-61
Contact: David Robinson, Chair, English, Communication, and Languages Division
This associate of arts transfer program is designed for part- and full-time students with academic and/or professional interest in media studies including journalism, public relations, and news media writing. Students are prepared for transfer to a four-year Maryland state college or university.
The maximum number of credits accepted in transfer from other institutions to this program is 45.
media relations specialist, public relations specialist, new media journalist, radio or television broadcaster, graphic designer, media buyer, media critic, producer, editor, social networking specialist, advertising specialist, mass media writer
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Develop, organize and deliver an effective speech.
- Effectively write and edit for multi-platform media distribution.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of legal and ethical issues in the media.
- Demonstrate an understanding of fair reporting.
- Demonstrate understanding of the history and functions of print and electronic mass media.
Required Courses and Recommended Sequence:
The following is a recommended sequence of courses for completing this program. College Prep and prerequisite course requirements, credit load, and/or course availability may affect a student’s individual progress. Course availability within the program sequences is specifically intended for full-time students who begin their course work with the fall semester. Students should always consult their online program evaluation or an academic advisor to better understand typical course availability and individual program planning.
Arts (3 credits)
Biological/ physical sciences (4 credits)
Acceptable (lecture and matching lab):
Arts (6 credits)
Acceptable: See listing above
Communication (3 credits)
Humanities (3 credits)
Social/behavioral sciences (3 credits)
- See Gen Ed Listing
- acceptable ECN, GRY, POL, PSY, or SOC
Elective (5-6 credits)
- Take 5-6 credits from the Gen Ed Listing; courses numbered 1001 and above
* Courses requiring a prerequisite or co-requisite
****Pending MHEC approval
Course Indicators: English Composition (E), Arts (A), Cultural and Global Awareness (C), Humanities (H), Biological/Physical Sciences (S), Social/Behavioral Sciences (B), Mathematics (M)