No. of Credits: 60
Contact: J. Fehr, Interim Chair, Business and Technology Division; B. Brezina, Program Coordinator
This drafting option provides students with the background to work as a drafting technician in support of the work of architects, builders, mechanical and civil engineers, manufacturers, and other technical professionals. This program is open to individuals with no previous drafting experience. Students develop competencies in the general skills of engineering technology and study related subjects that provide a broad educational foundation. Technically specific coursework includes engineering graphics, 2-D drawings, 3-D drawings, land development drawings, and CAD/CAM drawings. Students will complete courses in drafting to obtain necessary skills for the preparation of detailed technical drawings made with drawing instruments or by application of computer techniques. With a strong background in engineering technology fundamentals and a concentration in drafting, graduates of this program will be prepared for employment as an entry-level drafting technician.
The maximum number of credits accepted in transfer from other institutions to this program is 45.
drafting technician in support of work of architects, builders, mechanical and civil engineers, manufacturers, and other technical professionals
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Identify professional, ethical, security, and societal issues related to engineering technology.
- Combine fundamental engineering technology principles and the use of modern tools of the discipline to select and implement the methodology required to solve engineering technology problems.
- Demonstrate good communications skills to work effectively with other members of an engineering team.
- Setup, develop, and modify as necessary engineering drawings using modern Computer-Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) software.
- Use 3-D CAD/Solid Modeling software in conjunction with 3-D printing technologies to construct and assemble 3-D parts for a mechanical design project to aid in engineering design, simulation, or presentation.